City Clerk-Treasurerproviding accurate information and services in a professional manner
Karen Rieth, CMC, CPO
Clerk-Treasurer; Certified Procurement Officer
Contact the City Clerk
Meet your City Clerk:
City Clerk was appointed Clerk-Treasurer in 2014 and holds designations as a Certified Municipal Clerk, and Certified Procurement Officer, as well as a Notary Public. Past experience includes work as a Licensed Realtor, and Certified Nurse Assistant. Karen is a proud single mother of 4, who was born and raised in Belen and relocated her family to Elephant Butte in 2013, returning home to New Mexico after living in Arizona, Kansas, and Colorado for many years. Professional affiliations include: International Institute of Muncipal Clerks; New Mexico Clerks and Finance Officers Association; National Notary Association.
The Clerk-Treasurer’s office is responsible for:
- Administration of all Municipal Elections
- Meeting Administration
- Insuring Meetings of the Public Body are conducted in accordance with the Open Meetings Act
- Insuring A quorum is recorded as being present
- Insuring Resolutions and ordinances are properly introduced, given the required number of readings, and are duly signed
- Insuring Legal ads are printed when required
- Insuring Public hearings are properly Noticed
- Administering Oaths of Office
- Administration & oversight of Business registrations
- Administration of Municipal Liquor Licenses
- Oversight of Utility Billing & customer accounts
- Collection and administration of Lodgers Tax
- Accounting of all Public Funds
- Records retention
- Procurement for the Local Government
The City Clerk certifies minutes and all votes of the City Council as well as the records of appointments, removals, resignations.
Notary Public services are available at no charge through the Clerk’s Office at 103 Water Street.
Anyone wishing to make a presentation to Council at a regular meeting should submit materials and request to be included on the agenda to the Office of the City Clerk by noon 1 week prior to the meeting. The Mayor has final approval of all agenda items.
8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Closed from 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM
Monday – Friday
103 Water Ave.,
Elephant Butte, NM 87935
575-744-4892 ext. 100