Elephant Butte PLANNING, Zoning & Code Enforcement
The City of Elephant Butte administers almost all private property land use rules and regulations as established by the land use code and the zoning code. You can view the land use code section 155 in the Ordinance tab.
Almost all construction of any kind requires a zoning permit from the City. The City does not have a building permit or inspection department. The State of New Mexico issues all construction permits. The State requires a zoning permit from the City in most all cases in order to issue a building permit. In most cases, we will need site plans and construction plans, just as you would submit for a building permit. With these plans we are able to see if the use or the building is allowed in that zone. We will evaluate if the building meets height requirements, see if it encroaches into any easements or setbacks, and will evaluate all other requirements or restrictions within that zoning designation. PLEASE - BEFORE YOU BUILD A NEW DECK, ADD ON TO YOUR HOME, BUILD A FENCE, COVER YOUR DECK, ETC. - CONTACT THE CITY CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER. Failure to obtain permits could result in fines, and maybe even removing or taking down what you just built!!
Planning and Zoning Commission Members
- Nathan LaFont - Chairman
- Cathy Vickers - Vice Chairman
- Members - Les Buchanan, Chuck Looney and Sheridan Fuss Alternate members - Karen Mogen and Adrienne Podlesny.
- Code Enforcement - "The City has a full time Code Enforcement Officer. He is commissioned to give citations and cite into court for non compliance of the code. The Code Enforcement Officer also issues the zoning permits as stated above. Code Enforcement responds to all complaints and nuisances. The City is on a "CLEAN UP THE CITY" campaign and there is an emphasis on weeds, trash, debris, abandoned vehicles and boats, dilapidated structures, etc. Yes - the code enforcement officer does patrol on Saturday and Sunday, so all of the weekend visitors beware. Plan ahead and come in during weekend hours to get your permit.
- Even though we do not have an animal control officer, the City does contract with the City of Truth or Consequences animal control for regular patrol. With their help and the help of the code enforcement officer, a very large number of feral cats have been captured, vicious dogs and their owners have been cited into court and the number of dogs running loose has been greatly reduced. If you want to post an anonymous possible code violation, trash or messy yard, or animal complaint you may do so by clicking here and we will check into it.
- The Sheriff's Department handles all the City of Elephant Butte law enforcement. If you see anything such as speeding cars, possible violent actions (people or animals), possible violations of criminal law, neighbor disputes (noise), please call the regional dispatch at 894-6617.